Snap Decision Retirement

Life, money, health, etc
Archive

Snap Decision Retirement

Post by Archive » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Plan Well Before Leaving

I am a retired person who didn’t have a clue what I was going to do when I left my last job of twenty years. I made a snap decision one day and quit and never looked back. I didn’t really realize what I was doing and what was going to happen to me. First I never realized how much time in my life was consumed by my job. So when I quit I had this huge gap of time to fill and boy was that a challenge for me.

Tried to Keep Busy

My first response was to get busy around the house and do all those things I never had time to do, but soon those jobs were completed and then the vacancy stuff started bothering me again. This time I took on a part time job helping a friend of mine installing windows; this lasted about six months and then I was back to ground zero again.

No Planning Bad Idea

Then I started to realize that major mistake I made in not planning before I left my job. And it’s all this amount of time that you acquire and need to fill with something. I like many people thought that having nothing to do would be a great thing. One I could sleep in all the time. And just do anything I wanted to and didn’t have to worry about anything. This thinking works well at a lower level of thinking but doesn’t hold up the light of higher thinking.

Working Gives Value, No Work No Value

Here’s the deal when your approaching retirement and I use that word cautiously because it means many things to many people and it changes us from being someone who has value to frequently someone who has nothing to do and nothing to get up for. Sure it sounds good when people first think about it. But don’t let you dreams over run your good sense of thinking. Having nothing to do on a regular basis is a terrible blow to your self-esteem and goes to the very core of who you are and how you feel about yourself. In time unless you readjust your life pattern and how you feel about yourself. You will find yourself looking for yourself and then see what you have become and that’s when the wheels of self worth fly out the window and you find yourself alone, no place to go and nothing to do.

Cover All the Bases and Then Move On

So before you change your current life find your next life; practice playing the new part and see out it works out for you. And don’t leave your current occupation till the next phase of your life is up and running and it feels ok with you. That’s how I feel and I’m sticking to it.

Note:
This article was written by my late Father. We were working on this retirement site together before he was hit by a drunk driver and later died of his injuries.