Looking for someting to do?

Life, money, health, etc
Archive

Looking for someting to do?

Post by Archive » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:59 pm

Volunteer to Serve on Boards or Commissions

Managers and Mayors of local communities can help you find something to do and in the process render a public service. All local governments have selected groups of people running different functions that relate to the community they live in. The positions I’m speaking of are filled by the Manager or Mayor of the community they serve. The charter of the local community determines which person decides who fills those positions. In the town that I lived in Michigan designated the job of filling these positions was designated to the mayor.

Visit City Hall

If your interested in filling a position all you have to do is visit city hall and ask for the positions available and then select one or more your interested in being on and then the city will require you to fill out an application and your application would be considered and you would be notified if you have been accepted for the position.

Most Positions Don't Require Previous Experience

Most positions if I understand it correctly don’t require previous experience in the position you would be filling. You would acquire the experience by reading certain material about the rules and procedures of the job and you would gain additional knowledge by sitting on the board and experience first hand what goes on. Most boards, commission or committees are also provided the expertise of the cities lawyer or an assigned city employee or employees to help advise these volunteers on certain issues of protocol and etc.

The Commission I Once Answered to

I once worked for a Housing Commission which included five members and each when appointed served a specified time and needed to be reappointed when there term expired. They met bi monthly and received no compensation for the position they held. There meetings dates were posted at city hall and the public was invited to attend and could request permission to speak before the controlling members.

Most Compensate Volunteer Members

These types of positions can be very rewarding and in some cases produce some income. If you’re a people person and look forward to solving issues this approach might be right of your alley. That’s how I feel and I’m sticking to it.

Note:
This article was written by my late Father. We were working on this retirement site together before he was hit by a drunk driver and later died of his injuries.