Internet Banking - Caution is the Word

Life, money, health, etc
Archive

Internet Banking - Caution is the Word

Post by Archive » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Someone Tried to Transfer Money from Checking and Savings

Yesterday my adorable wife checked our banking stuff on a supposedly totally secured system maintained by our current bank and found money was transferred by having a checked mailed to someone in a different state. Here’s supposedly what happened according to the people that represented the bank were using. Someone gained access via our banking code and transferred money from our savings to our checking and then waited two days. Then they created a check to be paid to a person supposedly living in Philadelphia and specified the address where the check was to be sent.

Holiday Weekend

Since this is a holiday weekend and I assumed the crook or crooks chose this weekend thinking we would not detect the illegal transfer till it was too late to stop. Luckily my wife who is very attentive to our financial transactions and hardly lets a day go by that she doesn’t check our banking transactions on line. The bank stopped payment on the check and the crooks will not discover this till they try to cash or however they plan to process the check.

We and the Bank Contacted the Police

We have contacted the local police and they have their ways to pursue this kind of fraud behavior. I hope the cheaters are successfully caught and properly punished by hopefully serving jail time. It really upsets me to think of all the people especially the older ones like myself who face losing large sums of money and the hardship that behavior inflicts on them.

Second Time

This is the second time we have been scammed in the last two years and were starting to come to the conclusion that writing a payment and sending it via the post office is a far safer thing then paying your bills via the Internet. Were also considering changing our banking institution though I personal have come to the conclusion that all banking institutions are facing this scamming situation and our doing their best to protect their customers.

Only Open Emails from Sources You Know and Trust

If your paying bills on line may I suggest a couple changes in your behavior don’t open email from people you don’t know and check your accounts daily for activity that are not of your doing. If you detect faulty activity contact your bank or credit cards and place a stop activity on your accounts till the problem has been solved. And when your calling your credit card people make sure your balances are correct and no one has used them already.

Over Kill is Better

Here’s my thinking over kill is better so do what ever you have to do to freeze your accounts. This will give you peace of mind and time to re think what you want to do. Yes it will cause you some headaches, but a headache is better then maxed out credit cards and no money in the bank. That’s how I feel and I’m sticking to it.

Note:
This article was written by my late Father. We were working on this retirement site together before he was hit by a drunk driver and later died of his injuries.