Retirement & Divorce

Life, money, health, etc
Archive

Retirement & Divorce

Post by Archive » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:10 pm

A Co-Worker Retired Under Pressure

John worked for the same city that I did. We worked in different departments but rubbed elbows since we were both required to visit city hall on a weekly basis. He often spoke of his wife and how great they got along. Then I started not seeing him and asked an office person if he was sick or something? She said he opted for early retirement and only gave two weeks notice. That really surprised me since he always spoke kindly of his job and how he liked it.

The Next Surprise came Six Months Later

That was surprise one; the second surprise came six months later. I was enjoying my usual bakery item and coffee when John walked in. He looked as if he had aged ten years from the last time I saw him. We spoke and he sat way in the corner by himself. I wandered over and asked if I could join him? He said sure and we talked for a while. He said he opted for early retirement because the new city manger his boss kept on his back all the time and finally out of desperation he quit since he had enough time vested in the retirement system.

His Wife Asked Him for a Divorce

Finally with coldness in his voice and glassy eyes he with hardly any volume said my wife asked me for a divorced. I was speechless and finally muttered something like I sorry to hear that. Then the floodgates opened and all the sadness a person can muster was leveled at me and I don’t think I spoke a work for five minutes. I was just knotting or shaking my head and looking grim like he was. I was stunned how emotionally broken this man was. Before this he was always positive and always had good tidings to share with others. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and hearing.

Moved Out Right Away

He said she move out the day after she asked him for a divorce. Now tears are running down his face and I’m overwhelmed by what I’m viewing. Finally the spell of despair was broken and my cell phone rang. Luckily for me it was my secretary requesting my presence at work. I apologized for rushing off and said lets have lunch of sometime soon. He gestured ok and then I walked away not feeling good about our meeting.

Good By, Cold Words Sometimes

Never in my life would I have guessed this incredible man would have been so crushed by his wife asking him for a divorce. He always seemed so sure of himself and never uttered bad thoughts about anyone. In time the divorce notice was published in the paper and I really felt bad about reading the words that said good by so coldly in black print.

Remarried & Hopefully doing Well

Years later John found marriage again and I understand that things are going well for him and his new bride. I’m glad because in my heart I knew John deserved a second chance at love and I hope he found it.

Reason for Divorce? didn't Want to be with Him all the Time

Oh and she told him the reason she wanted a divorce was because she didn’t like being with him all the time after he retired. I guess what he thought he had, wasn’t the real thing. That’s how I feel and I’m sticking to it.

Note:
This article was written by my late Father. We were working on this retirement site together before he was hit by a drunk driver and later died of his injuries.