Hanging New Doors Saved Money

Life, money, health, etc
Archive

Hanging New Doors Saved Money

Post by Archive » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:13 pm

A Recent Way We Saved Money

Months ago my lovely wife with my concurrence decided its time to upgrade the interior doors of our house. Since then she has been compiling information concerning how this should be done and where’s the best deal in town to buy the doors and the hardware.

Best Deal for Doors

After considerable information seeking she selected to purchase the doors from Home Depot. Here are some of the reasons for her decision.

1. Best price

2. Doors knobs were predrilled

3. Doors were in better shape

4. We received a fifteen percent discount for purchasing a certain amount.

Family Project

We also saved labor costs because we hung the doors ourselves. Are only challenge seemed to be cutting out the door edges for the new hinges. My wife in her infinite wisdom suggested I could a router tool I purchased years ago. We accomplished this by doing the following routine.

1. First we removed the old doors one at a time.

2. Then we put the new and old doors side by side and the cut the new door for length.

3. Then using the same method we marked for the new hinges.

4. Then we routed out the opening for the hinges and we were done with the hinges.

5. Then we installed the new knob

We decided to paint the doors later so this completed hanging the doors.

Blue Tape

Sound simple it was and we saved a lot of coinage. Oh and when you cut the door for length blue tape all around the door and then mark and cut. You get a better finish cut this way.

Double Check Everything

And always remember double check what you’re about to do and that will save you the errors of making mistakes you shouldn’t. Good planning and patience will always pay off in the end.

Note:
This article was written by my late Father. We were working on this retirement site together before he was hit by a drunk driver and later died of his injuries.